06 October 2012

kauai

I haven't seen or talked to my friend -- my dear friend -- in months. 

Our friendship is kind of like this blog, I suppose. Sometimes we're in the flow: checking in constantly and riding the same wavelength. And other times, shit happens: movement, transitions. Life gets busy and full and before you know it, seven months have passed by without a word. Sometimes there's either too much or not much to say.

The thing I love about this blog (friendship too) is that even when a ton of time has passed and lots of life has been lived, it makes no difference. I can pick up where I left off, and there is little obligation to explain or give background or context. I don't have to be made up and I don't have hold it together when I show up. I needn't check grammar or spelling or use punctuation. When I show my face again, I needn't wear mascara or lipstick; I can come to the table in sweats and I can be myself. I can just start from right here, right now, and it's enough. 

Around this time of night exactly five months ago, my friend and I sat silently on a shuttle home. We were tired, spent and moved. What in the world do you say after spending eight days in paradise? We haven't said much. 

Tonight, I finally downloaded pictures from our trip to Kauai last spring off my little camera, and I'm thinking about my friend and my blogs and my thighs and this year and I am astounded by this life and this love and this ass. I miss my friend and those tropical fruity beverages. I am grateful for our extraordinary trip. I am happy to be blogging, and I'm overjoyed that the slate on both cameras is clean. 

I'm unsure when or where or how we will pick back up again. For now, it's enough.  












No comments: