21 September 2006

blacklists, babies and bathwater

Recently, I was blacklisted (again) from sending email to my friends and family with Comcast email accounts (To my friends and family with Comcast email accounts: if you don't hear from me for a while, this is why). I have gone back and forth with Comcast trying to rectify the situation and explain the misunderstanding.

Have I gotten a little too carried away sharing my thoughts and photos with people I love? Does anyone really even care?
AM I sending spam???

SPAM:
To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities. Noun: electronic "junk mail."

As I've pondered this questions, my answer has been a resounding, NO.

I have never sent JUNK to anyone. I am a human being with human thoughts and interests, human cares and concerns - making intentional attempts to stay in touch with people I care about. I am inviting a discriminate group of human beings to share in my relevant and highly appropriate messages.

In an attempt to deliver us all from Doctor Pharmaceutical, Newton Garza, Reg Herman and every other imaginary cyber-person out there trying to improve our sex-lives and to help us fight obesity, Comcast has cut off the real people too. They have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

We all do this in our own ways, don't we? One bad experience... one bad apple... our minds, our paradigms, our prejudices and even our inboxes are forever shaped.

I'm just thinking out loud...

1 comment:

n/a said...

that stinks! im glad i still get your emails.
btw do you get any messages from thomas b ?
thomas b really needs to tell me something b/c he is in my spam folder everyday.