06 April 2010

rutabaga

11. Rutabaga (check).

I learned that it's a member of the root vegetable family -- sort of like potato's cousin
and turnip's fraternal twin. From the picture, it looks a bit like an egg, but in person it looks more like a... root. It tastes and smells quite good. Radish-like. Radish light.

A blustery last Thursday evening, I had my rutabaga and visions of stew. I used half of it with assorted contents from my refrigerator and to my delight, my stew* manifested.


On day two, I chopped more rutabaga onto a salad with sunflower seeds, blue cheese, raisins and a host of fresh, crunchy veggies. Ahhh, another great salad! I think I'll use what's left in a stir fry some time this week.

Yes, r
utabaga added texture to my stew and spicy crunch to my salad. I like it's radishy flavor. I like that it can be used like a potato without taking up so much room in my belly. I like it's staying power. One rutabaga. One dollar. Three meals. A little goes a long way; that's good stuff. I'll definitely buy another. And now you know what I know. Enjoy.

*AT's Vegetable Barley Stew (mmm).
serves 4-6

1 c. Rutubaga (cut into matchsticks)
1 c. Carrot (cut into match sticks).
1 c. Sliced Cremini Mushrooms
1/4 c. Onion (chopped)
1 c. Frozen Peas
1 stalk Celery (chopped)
1 c. Cooked Barley
1/4 Apple (grated)
1/2 c. Red Kidney Beans
2 cloves Garlic
~3 oz. Firm Tofu (cubed)
1/2 t. Thyme
1/4 t. Marjoram
2 t.
Beef Better Than Bouillon and 2 1/2 - 3 c. Water
1/4 c. Red Wine
Salt and Pepper, to taste.
~1 T Olive Oil

Saute onions in olive oil until they turn tender and light brown. Add garlic, then carrots, rutabaga, celery, mushrooms and tofu (I don't recall the exact timing or order -- I don't imagine it matters too much), saute a few more minutes until veggies are tender. Stir in apples and spices for another minute or two, then add water and bouillon (veggie or beef broth will also work), wine and beans. Simmer 20-30 minutes to let flavors blend. A few minutes prior to serving, add barley and peas, and simmer until heated thoroughly. Serve and savor!

No comments: